Information for Graduate Students
Reference this page for log-in instructions and to see frequently asked questions about the online training for graduate students.
Instructions to Access Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Online Module
- Follow this link to the MIT Atlas Learning Center;
- You will be prompted to log in with your MIT Kerberos ID and password. You must have created your Kerberos ID to complete this course. Find out how here;
- Click on the “Students: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion”, on the “My Training Needs” tab
- Within the Students: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion course description page, click the “Begin Course” button located at the bottom.
- Log into MIT Atlas with your Kerberos ID;
- Click “Learning Center” from the menu (seen here on right);
- You will see either “Students: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion” course listed under your required courses on the “My Training Needs” tab;
- Within the “Students: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion” course description page, click the “Begin Course” button located at the bottom.
- Follow this link to the MIT Atlas Learning Center.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Why am I required to take this training?
- When will I be able to access the training?
- By when should I complete this training?
- When am I supposed to take Part 2 of this course?
- How do I access Part 2 of the DEI online module?
- What if I have personal concerns about taking this training?
- How long does it take to complete this training?
- I’m experiencing technical difficulties. What do I do?
- I can’t access the course! What do I do to access the course?
- How will MIT use the information I provide in this training?
- I have reached the “Conclusion” slide but the NEXT button is greyed-out. Am I done with the training?
- I have completed the training but my status on in the Atlas Learning Center still indicates “Not Completed.” Why hasn’t my status changed to “Completed”?
- What if I have other questions?
Why am I required to take this training?
As the cultural and social environment of our community continues to grow and change, we are committed to providing you with an MIT experience that reflects the institutional commitment to welcome everyone and to provide a supportive community that allows our students to be their true selves. Our commitment to diversity includes but is not limited to race, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion and spiritual beliefs, and disabilities. As a part of this ongoing effort, we have partnered with EverFi to offer the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion course, to allow students to have a common understanding of terms, learn to identify unconscious bias, and to know more about our resources, affiliated offices, programs and the many opportunities that can help you manage your experience here at MIT
When will I be able to access the training?
For graduate students, the course will be available on Friday, July 26, 2019. Follow the log-in instructions below OR go to MIT Atlas Learning Center.
By when should I complete this training?
This course is required for all new, incoming graduate students and optional for continuing graduate students.
Incoming graduate students should complete Part 1 of the training no later than Friday, September 27, 2019.
Please note that incoming graduate students will be subject to a registration hold effective December 15, 2019 if you do not complete this program, and you will be unable to register for Spring 2020 classes until you complete it.
When am I supposed to take Part 2 of this course?
As indicated in the diagram above, Part 2 of the DEI online module will be available to you 30 days after the completion of Part 1: Primary Course Content. The purpose of this is delay is to allow you to arrive on campus and experience MIT in more depth before you retake the survey. The courses are designed to see what you know before you take them. The review in Part 2: Review checks your understanding after you have had time to process the material. This timeline helps MIT to determine if the courses are effective.
How do I access Part 2 of the DEI online module?
Even though this screen indicates that you have completed DEI online module, you still need to access the course to complete Part 2:
- Click the “view course” link in the grey box to the right.
- On the EverFi dashboard, click on the Students: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion “Access Course” button to launch Part 2.
What if I have personal concerns about taking this training?
If you feel that taking this training would be unduly difficult, please contact Gloria Anglón (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your reasons and other options.
I’m experiencing technical difficulties. What do I do?
First, check your device’s internet access, audio capabilities, and your internet browser’s Adobe flash player. Everfi recommends using a desktop internet browser, preferably Firefox, but all up-to-date browsers should work to view the module.
Second, contact EverFi’s 24/7 help center by clicking the “Help” button in the DEI online module.
I can’t access the course! What do I do to access the course?
If you encounter issues accessing the course, please contact
SPXCE: Social Justice Programming & Cross-Cultural Engagement team at email@example.com.
How long does it take to complete this training?
It will take approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour to complete Part 1. You may take course in multiple sittings.
How will MIT use the information I provide in this training?
All survey responses are confidential; the Institute will only receive information about the student body as a whole and will never see individual student’s responses. Administrators will have access to student quiz scores, but like the surveys, will not have access to individual responses.
I have reached the “Conclusion” slide but the NEXT button is greyed-out. Am I finished with the training?
Yes, if you have reached the “Conclusion” slide, you have completed Part 1. You should receive a completion email within 30 minutes. If you do not receive this notification, send an email to MITGradDiversity@mit.edu.
I have completed the training but my status on in the Atlas Learning Center still indicates “Not Completed.” Why hasn’t my status changed to “Completed”?
Because EverFi is an external vendor, it takes up to 30 minutes for the MIT Atlas Learning Center system to be notified that new trainings have been completed. If you do not see a completion notice under the course after 30 minutes, send an email to MITGradDiversity@mit.edu .
**Due to the high volume of users, receiving a completion email could take a few hours.
What if I have other questions?
If you have any additional questions regarding:
- technical issues with the course, please contact Everfi directly using their 24/7 help center by clicking the “Help” button in the DEI online module
- issues accessing the course via MIT Atlas Learning Center, send an email to Gus Burkett in the Division of Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org
- concerns about taking the course or registration holds, send an email to Gloria Anglon in the Office of Graduate Education at MITGradDiversity@mit.edu