The Office of Graduate Education (OGE) includes the office’s headquarters as well as support for admissions and the Graduate Student Council.

We offer the following services to students and staff:

Prospective Student Support

Use our admissions pages to find the MIT graduate program that’s the best match for you. 

Prepare for your graduate education with the MIT Summer Research Program (MSRP) and GradCatalyst.

Connect with MIT at an upcoming recruitment conference


Consult on academic issues. Our GradSupport team will meet with you to discuss a variety of issues including faculty/student relationships, changing your advisor, funding, and academic progress. They can also help with excused absences.

Discuss a personal concern. Have a sticky situation? The GradSupport team can help you navigate conflict negotiation or interpersonal concerns.

Refer a student for personal or medical concerns. Worried about someone? Let us know.

Fellowships & Financial Wellbeing

Improve your understanding and ability to earn fellowships. Find tips on the Fellowships website and reach out to our dedicated team for questions and additional support.

Learn more about financial wellbeing, including budgeting and financial literacy, from our staff.

Find potential sources of financial assistance and grants, such as Guaranteed Transitional Support and the MIT Grant for Graduate Students with Children.

Diversity & Community

Support the community and get involved as a Graduate Diversity Ambassador, Graduate Community Fellow, or member of the Graduate Student of Color Advisory Council.

Submit a Graduate Student Experience Grant proposal to improve the graduate experience.

Find community with programming and resources for international students, women, LGBTQ+ students, students of color, students with disabilities, graduate families, and veterans.

Nominate a wonderful faculty mentor for the Committed to Caring honor.

Policies & Procedures

Clarify graduate policies and procedures. Our staff can help with answers about rules, policies, a student’s rights and responsibilities, as well as unique student situations.


Learn more about petitions — and how to submit yours — at our petitions page, allowing you to request a grading change (e.g. regular to listener, O to OX) or late Add/Drop change, student status adjustment (nonresident status, medical leave, etc), or individualized degree/thesis situation (dual Master’s degree, interdisciplinary thesis committee, etc).

Confused about something? Just ask.