A petition is a request to make changes to your academic record that are either non-standard actions or are outside of stated deadlines. Graduate student petitions are evaluated and approved by the graduate administrator or graduate officer in the student’s home department, the instructor of a subject (if appropriate for the particular request), and the OGE.
A processing fee of $50 will be charged to your student account for each petition approved. The exception is a $100 fee for an approved petition to initiate registration after the fifth week of term.
Submit an online Add/Drop/Change petition to make a late Add, Drop, or Change of Grading Status in their academic record after a deadline has passed. To learn more about the online Graduate Late Drop/Add/Change of Grading Status petition, watch the video at the bottom of this page, or see the following resources in the Help section of the graduate online petition application:
- A one page Quick Card instructions for students or for approvers
- The Graduate Online Petition FAQ Page
Submit a General Petition Form to firstname.lastname@example.org to:
- Establish or amend a dual Master’s degree
(Attach list of subjects and credit units for each degree)
- Choose a thesis field not currently on the list of departmental thesis fields
- Request a joint Master’s thesis
(Attach a statement specifying division of labor)
- Change a grade of “O” (missing final exam/project) to “OX” (excused)
- Appoint an ad hoc interdisciplinary degree thesis committee
- Apply for a waiver of summer tuition for a subject linked to an unpaid internship
- Request approval for retroactive actions in unusual circumstances
Submit a special petition to email@example.com to change your student status:
- Nonresident doctoral thesis research status
- Thesis research in absentia
- Medical leave
- Childbirth accommodation and/or parental leave
The Office of Graduate Education acts with power on behalf of the Committee on Graduate Programs with regard to all petition requests.