A petition is a request to make changes to your academic record that are either non-standard actions or are outside of stated deadlines.  Graduate student petitions are evaluated and approved by the graduate administrator or graduate officer in the student’s home department, the instructor of a subject (if appropriate for the particular request), and the OGE.

A processing fee of $50 will be charged to your student account for each petition approved.  The exception is a $100 fee for an approved petition to initiate registration after the fifth week of term.

Submit an online Add/Drop/Change petition to make a late Add, Drop, or Change of Grading Status in their academic record after a deadline has passed. To learn more about the online Graduate Late Drop/Add/Change of Grading Status petition, watch the video at the bottom of this page, or see the following resources in the Help section of the graduate online petition application:

Submit a General Petition Form (Please note: individuals filling out the form may choose either to 1) download the form, and complete it within the Adobe app (find Adobe instructions), or 2) print the form, sign the paper version, and scan it for email submission) to to:

  • Choose a thesis field not currently on the list of departmental thesis fields
  • Apply for a waiver of summer tuition for a subject linked to an unpaid internship
  • Request approval for retroactive actions in unusual circumstances

Submit a special petition to to change your student status:

Request delayed thesis publication (a “thesis hold”).

The Office of Graduate Education acts with power on behalf of the Committee on Graduate Programs with regard to all petition requests.