Graduate Student Short-Term Emergency Fund

Graduate Student Short-Term Emergency Funding is intended to be a resource for students who are experiencing one-time, non-recurring financial emergencies, including unexpected and unavoidable expenses, when they have exhausted all other resources. Each request will be considered individually and decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

If Graduate Student Short-Term Emergency Fund disbursements are granted, they do not have to be repaid. Graduate Student Short-Term Emergency Fund disbursements may be subject to taxation based on withholding rates set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Please note: this fund is not intended to cover program costs such as tuition, stipend, and student health insurance. If you have gaps in funding, please speak first with your academic department or program. Faculty officers and staff in your program office will contact the OGE as needed to discuss funding gaps.

Please note: Students in MIT Sloan masters programs who are experiencing financial challenges should apply to the MIT Sloan Immediate Needs Fund, accessible via the MySloan portal.

APPLICATION: The application for the Graduate Student Short-Term Emergency Fund is available on Engage. Please click here to apply.


  • Students must be currently registered in an MIT PhD program or Master’s Program.
  • Students on leave from MIT are not eligible to receive the award.

Eligible funding requests 

  • Unanticipated or unavoidable expenses that may have a negative impact on the student’s educational experience and well-being. These expenses most commonly include basic living necessities and travel expenses due to family emergencies.
  • Costs must have been incurred or become due while continuously enrolled during the current academic year.

Application requirements

  • Completed application questions
  • Documentation of expenses such as copies of billing statements or receipts are required for reimbursements, as appropriate
  • Documentation of rescinded summer position or appointment, as appropriate

In some cases, students will not receive funds if it is determined that: 

  • Other resources can be utilized to fulfill the need
  • The request is related to a pre-existing voluntary obligation

In such instances, students should contact the Office of Graduate Education to explore whether alternate resources may be available.