In response to the novel coronavirus, the Office of Graduate Education is open via remote access only from 9 am-5 pm, Monday through Friday. We welcome contact by:
Phone: (617) 253-4860
- For international students planning to travel: Please see the ISO Visas and Travel page; make note of the linked menu on the page for “Entering the US.”
- All students who access campus should register travel when leaving the state.
- Please refer to the Massachusetts Covid travel order.
- Graduate Student Covid-19 Housing Policies
- Note: Thanksgiving break will begin on Saturday, November 21, at which time undergraduates living on campus will be expected to depart for the remainder of the semester. However, graduate students living on campus may remain in housing. Classes will resume remotely for all on Monday, November 30, and continue through the last day of classes on Wednesday, December 9. See now.mit.edu for full details.
Accessing campus buildings
- 2020 Graduate Student Campus Guide has information on move-in and campus access for those living on campus
- Campus access: definition of “campus,” specifics for Covid Pass and One-time access
- Reserve classroom space for defenses and qualifying exams, etc (must be completed by a staff member)
- Studying remotely? Understand your options for health care coverage with SEIP.
- Going on a medical leave of absence for the fall? Don’t worry, you are still covered by your MIT health insurance. Important: you are responsible for paying the premiums in order to continue your coverage.
- What happens if someone in the MIT community tests positive for Covid-19 or may have been exposed? Scenarios are available in MIT COVID IFTTT (if this, then that).
- Loaner laptops and hotspots are available by request.
- If you are concerned about your advising situation, please contact GradSupport at email@example.com.
- Tips for difficult conversations about returning to campus
- Academic calendar for IAP and spring semester 2021
- Notice about grading policy for IAP 2021
- Full grading policy for Fall term 2020
- Modified fall term subject evaluation surveys will be open from November 30, 2020 – December 14, 2020
- Emergency Academic Regulations and Policies for Fall term 2020
- Graduate student financial assistance
- Guidance on remote student appointments (RAs, TAs, etc) performed outside the US (certificates required)
- Taking care of yourself and each other
- Tips for Supporting and Working with Students During the Covid-19 Environment: For MIT Faculty, Instructors, and Staff.
- Covid-19 Graduate Student Policies
- Covid-19 Public Health Concern Report Form
- Academic continuity FAQs
OGE Procedural adjustments
- General Petitions may be scanned or photographed and submitted to Senior Associate Dean Blanche Staton via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Find special instructions for electronic thesis submission.
- Thesis hold request forms should be signed by the student, then scanned or photographed and submitted to email@example.com with a cc: to the thesis supervisor for follow up approval, if an electronic signature cannot be obtained.
- Other updates to graduate procedures to allow flexibility in response to Covid-19 related needs will be posted here.
- Medical Leave of Absence information is available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other adjustments for graduate students
- Campus parking. Students with an MIT ID are allowed to use all gated and non-gated lots free of charge.
Last updated on December 2, 2020.