In response to the novel coronavirus, the Office of Graduate Education is open via remote access only from 9 am-5 pm, Monday through Friday. We welcome contact by:
Phone: (617) 253-4860
- For international students planning to travel: Please see the ISO Visas and Travel page; make note of the linked menu on the page for “Entering the US.”
- All students who access campus should register travel when leaving the state.
- Please refer to the Massachusetts Covid travel order.
Accessing campus buildings
- 2020 Graduate Student Campus Guide has information on move-in and campus access for those living on campus
- Campus access: definition of “campus,” specifics for Covid Pass and One-time access
- Reserve classroom space for defenses and qualifying exams, etc (must be completed by a staff member)
Studying remotely? Understand your options for health care coverage with SEIP.
- Going on a medical leave of absence? Don’t worry, you are still covered by your MIT health insurance. Important: you are responsible for paying the premiums in order to continue your coverage.
- What happens if someone in the MIT community tests positive for Covid-19 or may have been exposed? Scenarios are available in MIT COVID IFTTT (if this, then that).
- Loaner laptops and hotspots are available by request.
- If you are concerned about your advising situation, please contact GradSupport at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tips for difficult conversations about returning to campus
- Emergency Academic Regulations and Recommendations for Spring term 2021
- Grading policy for the Spring 2021
- Academic calendar for IAP and spring semester 2021
- Graduate student financial assistance
- Guidance on remote student appointments (RAs, TAs, etc) performed outside the US (certificates required)
- Taking care of yourself and each other
- Tips for Supporting and Working with Students During the Covid-19 Environment: For MIT Faculty, Instructors, and Staff.
- Covid-19 Graduate Student Policies
- Covid-19 Public Health Concern Report Form
- Academic continuity FAQs
OGE Procedural adjustments
- General Petitions may be scanned or photographed and submitted to Senior Associate Dean Blanche Staton via email at email@example.com.
- Find special instructions for electronic thesis submission.
- Thesis hold request forms should be signed by the student, then scanned or photographed and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cc: to the thesis supervisor for follow up approval, if an electronic signature cannot be obtained.
- Other updates to graduate procedures to allow flexibility in response to Covid-19 related needs will be posted here.
- Medical Leave of Absence information is available from email@example.com.
Other adjustments for graduate students
- Campus parking. Students with an MIT ID are allowed to use all gated and non-gated lots free of charge.
Last updated on February 19, 2021.