A petition is a request to make changes to your academic record that are either non-standard actions or are outside of stated deadlines.  Graduate student petitions are evaluated and approved by the graduate administrator or graduate officer in the student’s home department, the instructor of a subject (if appropriate for the particular request), and the OGE. The Office of Graduate Education acts with power on behalf of the Committee on Graduate Programs with regard to all petition requests.

Submit an online Add/Drop/Change petition to make a late Add, Drop, or Change of Grading Status in their academic record after a deadline has passed. A processing fee of $25 will be charged to your student account for each petition approved. 

To learn more about the online Graduate Late Drop/Add/Change of Grading Status petition, watch the video at the bottom of this page, or see the following resources in the Help section of the graduate online petition application:

Submit a General Petition Form to to:

  • Register after the term deadline (incurs a $100 late fee)
  • Establish or amend a dual Master’s degree
    (Attach list of subjects and credit units for each degree)
  • Choose a thesis field not currently on the list of departmental thesis fields
  • Request a joint Master’s thesis
    (Attach a statement specifying division of labor)
  • Change a grade of “O” (missing final exam/project) to “OX” (excused)
  • Appoint an ad hoc interdisciplinary degree thesis committee
  • NOTE- to apply for a waiver of summer tuition for a subject linked to an unpaid internship, please contact the Registrar’s office-
  • Request approval for retroactive actions in unusual circumstances

Submit a special petition to to change your student status:

Do NOT use a petition to: