Committee Description and Charge
The Committee on Graduate Programs shall consist of six elected faculty members, the Associate Chair of the Faculty, two graduate student members, and the following ex officiis voting members and/or their designee(s): the Vice Chancellor, the Vice President for Research, and the Registrar. The Chair of the Faculty shall appoint the Chair of the Committee from the group consisting of the six elected faculty members. The Chair of the Committee and the Vice Chancellor shall jointly appoint one departmental or program graduate administrator to the committee.
The Committee shall exercise general oversight of graduate educational programs and of graduate student policies.
Among the duties and responsibilities of the Committee shall be:
- Evaluating proposals for the adoption of new graduate degree programs and making recommendations to the Faculty concerning these programs.
- Evaluating proposals for the termination of existing programs with the aim of ensuring that (1) students currently enrolled in the program are able to complete their degree requirements; and that (2) departments whose curricula are affected have been given reasonable notice of termination; and reporting to the Faculty on the steps that are being taken in the process of termination.
- Considering proposals that would change or modify general policies related to graduate programs and graduate students and making recommendations to the Faculty.
- Encouraging best practices for graduate educational programs, including collecting and disseminating such practices.
- The Committee shall retain responsibility for:
- evaluating academic performance of graduate students, including the issuance of formal warnings and denials of further registration
- approving requests for minor departures from general requirements for advanced degrees
- approving proposals for changes in a graduate level subject of instruction
- cooperating with the Committee on Academic Performance in making recommendations to the Faculty on such matters as minor changes in the calendar, examinations and grading
- recommending to the Faculty, at the conclusion of the two regular terms and of the end of the summer session, candidates for advanced degrees
The Committee may delegate responsibility for (i) through (v) to the Vice Chancellor. For (i) through (iv), the Vice Chancellor may then delegate responsibility to an appropriate senior administrator.
- Serving as the standing Faculty advisory body to the Vice Chancellor and the Vice President for Research on policies related to graduate students.
The Vice Chancellor also chairs the Graduate Academic Performance Group (GAPG), which monitors minimum academic standards for graduate students and special students in accordance with the rules and regulations of the faculty. The GAPG operates with the authority of the CGP.
CGP meetings are held monthly during the Fall and Spring terms on Thursdays, 2:00-4:00 pm.
Proposals to the Committee
MIT department representatives may submit proposals for changes to existing graduate programs and proposals for new programs here.
Current membership (with appointment end dates)
Prof. Dan Frey, Chair (June 30, 2020)
Prof. Roberto Fernandez (June 30, 2020)
Sloan School of Management
Prof. Anna Frebel (June 30, 2022)
Prof. Martha Gray (June 30, 2021)
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Prof. Joseph Paradiso (June 30, 2021)
Media Arts and Sciences
Prof. Craig Wilder (June 30, 2022)
Prof. Duane Boning, Associate Chair of the Faculty (June 30, 2021)
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Mr. Neil Banerjee, Graduate Student Representative (June 30, 2020)
Mr. Ty Christoff-Tempesta, Graduate Student Representative (June 30, 2020)
Materials Science & Engineering
Ms. Brandy Baker, Graduate Administrator
Nuclear Science and Engineering
Prof. Ian Waitz, Vice Chancellor
Aeronautics and Astronautics
Mr. Peter Hayes, Associate Registrar [designated representative, Registrar]
Office of the Registrar
Ms. Blanche Staton, Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education [designated representative, Vice Chancellor]
Office of Graduate Education
Prof. Krishna Rajagopal [non-voting]
Office of Digital Learning
Staff to committee
Ms. Jessica Landry
Office of Graduate Education