Transfer credit: In special cases, advanced subjects completed satisfactorily elsewhere may be accepted for credit toward requirements for an advanced degree (with a recorded grade of “S” for subjects with exact MIT equivalents). If the subject has no MIT equivalent, approved transfer credit should be requested through a petition approved by the appropriate departmental graduate registration officer.

The student’s major department will determine to what extent subjects taken as a special student are acceptable for credit toward the requirements for an advanced degree. Credit received as a special graduate student is considered with all other academic information in reviewing the application and in formulating a degree program.

Advanced standing examinations: Academic Departments may decide to arrange Advanced Standing credit for their graduate students. The Academic Department may do so, in agreement with the faculty member in charge of the subject concerned, who may require evidence of competence in addition to an examination. A passing grade entitles a student to full credit for the subject. A failing grade will appear on the permanent record.