- Applying to a fellowship demands a substantial, polished, well-thought-out product. Doing this last minute will not produce your best work (see the suggested schedule in the previous section).
- Identify the deadline and organize a schedule that works for you.
- Build in extra time for last minute problems or changes.
Focus on fellowships that are worth your time.
- Check eligibility requirements closely.
- If you are an international student, make sure you are eligible. Typically, US Government opportunities are only available for US citizen/ permanent residents. Read the small print.
- Take the time to understand the fellowship’s requirements and obligations. Applying to a fellowship can be a lot of work and often times there is a lot of money involved. You don’t want to lose your fellowship because you were not aware of its requirements (please see “Keeping Your Fellowship” section).