Maximum Units for Research and Teaching Assistants
An department or program will consider a student assistant’s duties, program of study, and compensation in order to determine the number of academic units for which that student assistant may register each term. A department or program may set a maximum number of units for which its assistants may register.
Exceptions to the Maximum Units Rule
- Research assistants whose assigned research is part of their thesis research may be permitted to register for thesis units without regard to the maximum.
- Research assistants whose assigned research is not part of their thesis research may not register for thesis units above the maximum allowed.
- In recognition of their research experience, research assistants in some departments may be granted credit other than thesis credit toward the master’s or engineer’s degree. This credit will not be counted against the maximum.
- In recognition of their research experience, teaching assistants in some departments may receive limited degree credit for their teaching, which will not be counted against the maximum registration they may carry.
- A department may allow research and teaching assistants to register for one language subject, or in other subjects as listeners, without the units being counted against the maximum.