The speakers in this workshop were all so great. It is difficult to describe how inspiring it is for me when these great people… share their experience and wisdom of how they handle different problems in appropriate ways. It was also very encouraging to find out that so many people are having similar struggles and questions and there are so many supports out there.
Path of Professorship:
Friday, November 19 through Sunday, November 21, 2021
The Office of Graduate Education is pleased to announce the opening of this year’s application to our Path of Professorship workshop. This workshop is for graduate and post-doctoral women, non-binary, and gender diverse people. The workshop’s aim is to provide information about academic scientific careers and the application process. Each year we are able to gather a wonderful group of women professors from MIT and a diverse range of colleges and universities about their experiences in academia. This year is no different and we are expecting an exciting and informative weekend.
- Key strategies for applying and interviewing for academic positions
- The importance of networking and how to manage networking with peers and superiors
- Insights from deans and department chairs about what to negotiate for once you have the offer
- Advice from faculty on things you can do now and during your hire to make your tenure-track years as smooth and successful as possible
- Characteristics of different types of universities
- Advice on maintaining a balanced life, in light of rigorous demands of a career in academia
**Note: materials and networking opportunities will be provided
Path of Professorship will be held in a hybrid format and will be split up into three different days: Friday, November 19th (virtual); Saturday, November 20th (in-person); and Sunday, November 21st (virtual). The workshop will be held from 1 PM EST to about 5/6 PM EST each day. A meal will be provided in person or remotely. Topics covered will range from “What Type of Institution is Right for You?” to “The Tenure Process”.
**Deadline Extended: The application will close on October 25th (instead of 10/18) and selected applicants will be notified shortly thereafter.
We hope you will consider applying if you think academia may be in your future.
The PoP Planning Team 2021
(This workshop is sponsored by the Office of Graduate Education with support for postdoctoral women from the Office of the VP for Research.)