MIT has been asked to nominate 3 PhD students to attend the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Singapore International summit: Global Young Scientists Summit @One-North: An International Meeting of Bright Young Researchers, Nobel Laureates and Eminent Scientific Leaders” Jan. 17-22, 2016, in Singapore
20 eminent science and technology leaders, comprising Nobel Laureates, Turing Award winners, Millennium Technology Awardees, and Fields Medalists, will speak at GYSS 2016. Please see their website for more details.
Note that NRF will cover all local expenses only (meals within campus, transport to site visits & social programs and accommodations during the summit); participants or their research advisors/ departments are responsible for airfare. ODGE will provide one coach class round trip airline ticket for the top graduate student applicant.
Eligibility (Set by NRF):
- Full time PhD student at MIT, under age 35
- Fields: Multi-disciplinary (Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Medicine, Mathematics, Computer Science, Technology/Engineering); focus is on use-inspired research to address major global challenges
- Demonstration of passion and interest in research
- Strong organizational support, preferably recommendation letter from academic advisor or supervisor
- Possession of good English skills for active discussion and engagement with peers and speakers, demonstrated strong academic achievement in area of research, assessed within the top 5-10 percent of cohort
- Must not have attended previous editions of GYSS
Application procedure: Please send to Scott Tirrell, firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm Monday, Sept. 21, 2015 for an internal ODGE competition to produce MIT’s 3 nominees, the following materials as a single PDF file:
- Cover letter as to why this opportunity would benefit their doctoral education
- Half page research summary
- Letter of recommendation and support from faculty advisor (please indicate source of funding for airfare)
- Unofficial transcript
MIT will provide our 3 PhD student nominations to the NRF by September 25, 2015. Those nominees selected by the GYSS secretariat to participant will be contacted directly by GYSS to complete the registration in phases in the fourth quarter of 2015. The GYSS secretariat reserves the right to make the final selection decision of nominated participants. The VPR office will be having a separate competition for 2 postdoc spots. Please contact Debra Martin email@example.com for more details. Please see additional information attached (please note the deadlines in the attachment are incorrect), and feel free to contact me with any questions.