This year’s Spring Empowerment Conference will take place during the week of April 27th, and the theme is Speak Out, Speak Up! Many of the speakers will be people who have had to (in some way) stand up for themselves or something in which they believe.
- On Monday April 27th the week starts with the Kick-off Luncheon (RSVP) from 12 to 1 pm in Walker Memorial Hall.
- On Tuesday the Feminism Showcase (RSVP) will take place in Stata from 11 am to 2 pm, followed later by the Comedy Night (RSVP) in the Thirsty Ear Pub from 8 to 10 pm.
- On Wednesday from 10:30 am to 12 pm in the Mezzanine Lounge, the first event is Deconstructing Gender & Power @ MIT (RSVP), a workshop where participants will work together to define gender, power, and control and how this may impact the dynamics here at MIT. The second, from 6 to 7:30 pm in 32-155, is Trailblazing @ Any Age (RSVP), an event where two local students will be speaking about their experiences as minorities and how they have spoken out via their actions or words.
- On Thursday come see a screening of the film Pray the Devil Back to Hell (RSVP) from 8 to 10 pm in 26-100.
- Finally, the week concludes on Friday with Women, Politics, & the World (RSVP), a discussion from 12 to 1pm in 3-270 that will explore why women’s political participation is essential to building and sustaining democracy globally.
Also, for those that are interested, there are still ways you can get involved with the running and advertising of the conference. If you’d like more information or are interested in helping out, email the conference organizers. Photo by Daniela Vladimirova.