MIT will nominate a total of five participants made up of 3 PhD students and 2 postdocs to attend the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Singapore International Summit: “Global Young Scientists Summit @ One-North: An International Meeting of Bright Young Researchers, Nobel Laureates and Eminent Scientific Leaders” on January 19-24, 2014 in Singapore. The nomination process is being coordinated by the Office of the Vice President for Research (for postdocs) and the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education (for graduate students). Materials are due by 5:00 PM on Friday, June 21, 2013.
NRF will cover all local expenses only; participants or their research advisors are responsible for airfare. ODGE will provide one coach class round trip airline ticket for the top graduate student applicant.
- Full time PhD student at MIT, under age 35
- Fields: Multi-disciplinary (Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Medicine, Mathematics, Computer Science, Technology/Engineering); focus is on use-inspired research to address major global challenges
- Demonstration of passion and interest in research
- Strong organizational support, preferably recommendation letter from academic advisor or supervisor
- Possession of good English skills for active discussion and engagement with peers and speakers, demonstrated strong academic achievement in area of research, assessed within the top 5-10 percent of cohort
Interested students are to send the following materials as a single PDF file to Scott Tirrell, email@example.com by 5:00 PM on Friday, June 21, 2013.
- Cover letter as to why this opportunity would benefit their doctoral education
- Half page research summary
- Letter of recommendation and support from faculty advisor (please indicate source of funding for airfare)
MIT will provide our 5 nominations to the NRF by July 31, 2013. Selected participants will be informed by the NRF to complete an online application by September 30, 2013. Please see additional information below and attached, and feel free to contact Scott Tirell at firstname.lastname@example.org.